There’s no way to argue – surfing is one of the best sports on the planet. We’re not the only ones saying it! It’s healing, challenging and exciting all at the same time. And in Costa Rica, it also involves warm, clear water, sunny days, blue skies, perfect waves and tropical nights under the stars. Costa Rica has been touted as a country with not only world class waves but also with some of the most beautiful beaches on the planet. But let’s get more specific! Here are 5 reasons you should make Costa Rica your next surfing vacation destination!
- Costa Rica is home to a powerful and diverse surfing culture. For many of the towns and villages on the coast, surfing and being in the ocean in general is more than a hobby or a way to attract visitors – it’s a way of life. People have built their lives and their livelihoods around surfing, from lessons to board rentals to surf shops, to just offering their ocean advice to visitors and other locals alike. Tamarindo Beach, Jacó, Puerto Viejo and our own little Playa Dominical.
- Surfing is great in Costa Rica ALL YEAR. Yep, that’s right. You can surf all year long! Because of the way it is situated geographically (it’s nearness to the equator and it’s openness to the Pacific ocean) there are swells hitting various coasts from January to January!
- There is even more to Costa Rica than just surfing. We have incredible hiking, active volcanoes, beautiful diving spots, white water rafting tours, delicious food and secret little nooks for relaxing yoga and meditation retreats. There’s something even for the loved ones in your life who may not want to surf.
- Costa Rica has one of the best and longest “lefts” in the world! The beautiful and not well-known beach of Pavones has a wave that you can ride for nearly three whole minutes! So if you’re a more advanced surfer, this is the place to be. It’s an isolated town so the line up isn’t a clogged mess like it can get in other places such as Hawaii or Indonesia.
- Just to prove how great the waves are, Costa Rica is home to the current world champion surfer, Noe Mar McGonagle. What does that mean? It means that all of Noe’s hours and days and years of practice that honed him into one of the best surfers of his generation were done on the beaches of Costa Rica.
A whole new world awaits you in Costa Rica, and especially in our own piece of heaven, Playa Dominical. We invite you to come and experience the magic and grandeur of our little country for yourselves! See you soon.